Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: video transfer for big screen

  1. #1
    Inactive Member lastquark's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 22nd, 2003
    Posts
    15
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have a 60" widescreen TV. Viewing miniDV shots direct from the tape already show pixelation. MiniDV format, by itself, is not adequate for big screen TV's.

    When transfering S8 to miniDV, you will even add resolution loss due to encoding to mpeg to be able to view it in a DVD. This is unless you save the miniDV in lossless .avi or leave it in tape. In short, telecine transfer to DVD is just a viewing media but not for archival. Either save the moviein an .avi (expensive because of large hard disks) or leave it in tape.

    The future will be the use of HDTV camera. The resolution even when transferred from S8 should be wonderful.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member oldasdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2003
    Posts
    362
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    You could also have a digital intermediate made at a lab and 35mm prints made from that,but that's very expensive.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member dudewas's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 17th, 2004
    Posts
    3
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    hi,

    I'm about to sent my S8 stuff for a digital transfer. I'm thinking the usual way. I mean transfer to miniDV, then edit on my computer.
    But i wonder about the resolution of such a transfer. That's sure be perfect for TV resolution, but for a big screen video screening ... Is it allright ?
    I don't know much about video projection.
    Should I, for example, edit my stuff from the miniDV and then, when the work is done, retransfer from super8 to a better quality ?
    In fact my issue is: Is the NTSC resolution with miniDV (480X600, or so) good enough for big size screening ?

    thanks for your help

    was

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Nigel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2000
    Posts
    1,668
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Where are you getting the transfer done??

    You could have them Xfer to DigiBeta or BetaSP with a MiniDV dub....Then you edit your dub and create an EDL for an Online off of the Beta tapes.

    Good Luck

  5. #5
    Inactive Member Xenobious's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 19th, 2002
    Posts
    3
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Suppose you just want to transfer your Super8 footage directly into the computer with firewire, edit and then output to a DVD burn. Does NOT recording it on a tape first improve the quality?

    I use Pinnacle to edit and it gives me an option to burn on DVD when I'm done- I tried it once and it seemed to work fine- but if you were to watch that same movie on a digital projector like the ones they use at some theaters, would it be pixelated/experence a significant quality loss?

    Can you have an edited DV project somehow transferred to film for play at theatres and how much does that usually cost?

  6. #6
    Inactive Member bigmasi's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 5th, 2004
    Posts
    170
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    When I was studying we used to watch movies at night with the schools projector. We used beta, s-vhs, vhs, M2 ...almost every format. They all looked quite good. The screen size was about 4m X 3m. The projector was RGB-projector. And once I did a commercial that was screened in a movietheater before the film and it looked good for me. The format was dv-cam and the screen size something like 20m X 15m. I don't know more about large projections, but doesn't the quality of the videoprojector make any difference? My friend had a cheap consumer projector at home and I think his movies looked grainy even on 2m screen..?

    Then again, I've had a lot of problems with the pixels of mini-dv when working on tv-resolution also. Pixels sometimes start to show even on very minor color correction..? I just think it's a crap format. I prefer dv-cam. Feel free to comment on that if you choose so...

  7. #7
    Inactive Member oldasdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2003
    Posts
    362
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    And once I did a commercial that was screened in a movietheater before the film and it looked good for me.
    Was your commercial shot on tape?Was the movie theater projecting film or video?Is it possible they were projecting a 35mm print of your commercial?

  8. #8
    Inactive Member bigmasi's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 5th, 2004
    Posts
    170
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by oldasdirt:
    And once I did a commercial that was screened in a movietheater before the film and it looked good for me.
    Was your commercial shot on tape?Was the movie theater projecting film or video?Is it possible they were projecting a 35mm print of your commercial?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Shot on dv-cam, edited on computer and printed on dv-cam tape. Projected from dv-cam taperecorder. Don't know what kind of projector they had..?

    I think it looked ok.

    (Isn't it the same if you look tv-screen from 2 meters distance or look a big screen from 30 meters distance..?)

  9. #9
    Inactive Member oldasdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2003
    Posts
    362
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Projected from dv-cam taperecorder. Don't know what kind of projector they had..?&gt;
    Do you know if it was an electronic (not film)projector?They didn't have to make a negative from your video for a film print?I say that because all of the theaters in my town are 35mm film print.The only ones here using standard def video projection are corporate types for multi media presentations no theaters.Lats I heard there were about 50 theaters in the US capable of HDTV projection.

    I think it looked ok.

    (Isn't it the same if you look tv-screen from 2 meters distance or look a big screen from 30 meters distance..?)

    Too many varibles there my friend,depends on the projection type,but in a perfect world,all things being equal that sounds right.

  10. #10
    Inactive Member bigmasi's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 5th, 2004
    Posts
    170
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by oldasdirt:

    Do you know if it was an electronic (not film)projector?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I personally took the dv-cam tape and the taperecorder to the theater for them about 15 minutes before the spot was projected, so if they projected from film they sure are quick..? *grin*

    I don't know what kind of projectors they have in theaters, but I would guess that most of them have a 35mm, 16mm and also somekind of videoprojector?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •